Working for Assisi
Join our team and help make a difference to Animal Welfare in Northern Ireland with Assisi Animal Sanctuary
One vacancy currently available
Job Title: Animal Welfare Assistant
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week, Monday – Sunday on a Rota basis
Location of role: Assisi Animal Sanctuary, 1 Old Bangor Road, Conlig, BT23 7PU
Salary: £8.91 per hour
Line Management: Reporting to the Animal Welfare Manager
Purpose of the role:
Under the management of the Animal Welfare Manager, the post holder will ensure the effective day-to-day welfare of the animals and will maximise rehoming opportunities by carrying out agreed procedures and routines which support the animals, staff and volunteers.
To promote the Mission, Vision, Values and Core Principles of Assisi Animal Sanctuary, taking a positive and happy approach to supporting a workplace that celebrates success and learns from mistakes. Be responsible for meeting appropriate standards of performance.
A dynamic individual with excellent communication skills is required, with a passion for the cause: the role is contributing to Animal Welfare in Northern Ireland and ensuring an excellent service is provided to all stakeholders of the organisation.
- Work as directed by the Animal Welfare Manager in any area that you are suitable trained to do so.
- Care for all animals in the Sanctuary in an appropriate and welfare friendly manner, to include cleaning of kennels, grooming, feeding, enrichment, exercise and administration and recording of medication as required. Maintaining a high standard of good hygiene practices and good housekeeping across all areas of site at all times.
- Work in accordance with Assisi policies and procedures and conduct intake, pre-assessments, and carry out animal assessments, highlighting any concerns or potential barriers to rehoming or admission to the Animal Welfare Manager.
- Maintain accurate and up to date records on our animal management database, to include admission, adoption and behaviour, financial and veterinary information, as well as ensuring that all customer information is shared with the relevant function.
- Deliver training programmes to those animals in our care who require additional support under the guidance of the Animal Welfare Manager. Ensure that accurate records are kept.
- Ensure animals that are available for rehoming are positively promoted to maximise adoption and supporter opportunities across all available channels.
- Assist customers to select animals through the process, appropriate to the circumstances by providing, customer friendly, accurate and relevant information and advice. Approaching each animal and adopter as an individual and making decisions as a collective on those animals that might be suitable. Ensuring that adopters are fully advised to welcome their new animal home.
- Ensure the highest standards of customer care are delivered to all Sanctuary visitors and contacts, by presenting a professional and friendly approach both face to face and on the telephone at all times.
- Be an Ambassador for the Charity supporting other functions with activities, such events, talks, and education activities, as required, taking every opportunity to fundraise, build supporter relationships and make lasting friendships. Receiving donations of food and bedding and ensuring that appreciation is shown to all Donors
- Support and nurture our volunteers in the Sanctuary, ensuring they feel a valued part of the team and have access to your knowledge and experience to aid them in their volunteering role.
- Take an active role in the Animal Welfare Assistant Peer group, sharing learning and experience.
- Ensures all Security, Health and Safety policies and procedures are adhered to in order to provide a safe and secure environment for staff, customers and company assets. Reporting any concerns or incidents to the Animal Welfare Manager.
- Qualified to National Diploma Level or NVQ 2 or equivalent in animal care/welfare
- Good communication skills – ability to communicate well with customers, volunteers, managers, CEO and Trustees
- Ability to use initiative and take responsibility, prioritise work accordingly through excellent time management, planning and organising skills
- Proficient in the use of MS Office products with experience and knowledge of Word & Outlook
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and committed to working to a high standard
- Passionate and committed to the aims and charitable objectives of Assisi Animal Sanctuary
- Flexible and adaptable approach to work and ability to remain calm and work under pressure
- Good standard of English and maths
- Animal care/welfare qualifications above that of National Diploma Level or NVQ 2
- Customer Care qualification
- Paid or voluntary experience of working in an animal rescue environment
This role profile is not exhaustive and can be amended at any time to suit the changing needs of the Sanctuary
To apply for this position please contact email@example.com for an application pack.
Closing date for applications 4pm – Sunday 17th October 2021.