Assisi Animal Sanctuary is Northern Ireland's largest independent animal welfare charity providing shelter for up to 200 companion animals - cats, dogs and rabbits.
Charity Reference No: NIC104594.
The start of a new year means many people will be making resolutions to improve themselves in 2016. Maybe you are going to eat healthier or exercise more, but why not make a New Year resolution which is animal friendly.
Below are some suggestions and during this week we will tell you more about some of the many ways you can help Assisi:
1. Get outside. Get yourself and your dog(s) off the couch and into the outdoors. Most dogs need walked at least twice a day to stay healthy and you will benefit too. If you don’t have a dog, become an Assisi volunteer dog walker?
2. Help your pet get home if they get lost – get them microchipped. One of the first things a rescue centre or vet will do is check to see if the cat or dog has a microchip and if they have they will contact you immediately. If your pet is microchipped make sure your details are up-to-date – if you have moved house, changed telephone number make sure you have let your microchip company know. Many times we try to contact an owner only to find the telephone number is not correct and then it takes much longer to reunite the pet and its owner.
3. Follow Assisi! Keep up-to-date with what Assisi is doing on our website, facebook and twitter.
4. Adopt an animal. If you are considering getting a new pet make Assisi your first stop or another animal shelter.
5. Donate your time or money. Money donated to Assisi helps provide the funds to feed and medicate the animals in our care. Or you can donate yourself! We could not function without the help of our dedicated volunteers. We need volunteers to:
• Work in our charity shops in Ballynahinch, Bangor and Newtownards. The profit from the shops goes to the sanctuary and we wouldn’t be able to help as many animals as we do if it wasn’t for the charity shops so please do support them by donations or your time.
• Work with the animals at the sanctuary, cleaning and feeding. Or you can socialise with the animals (cats, dogs and rabbits) or become a dog walker
• Drive our vans with animals to the vets, collecting donations and delivering furniture for the shops. Or become a Chance of a Lifetime driver – more details on Chance of a Lifetime on our website
• Help with marketing and fundraising
• Foster animals who need some extra TLC.
Thank you to all our volunteers who have helped Assisi in 2015 and we look forward to welcoming new volunteers in 2016. Your volunteering helps animals such as the ones below. To find out more about how you can help Assisi watch this page for the next week and if you want to become a volunteer please email email@example.com
Best wishes for 2016 from everyone at Assisi.