THREE SIMPLE STEPS TO REHOME YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND
- Register – you can do this in person at our centre or call 028 9181 2622
- Match – our rehoming team will help you find your perfect pet and introduce you to them
- Rehome – after a final medical check and all the advice you could possibly need, you’ll be able to take your new friend home with you.
Our rehoming process is carefully tailored to each applicant, so please allow plenty of time. Our staff will always be on hand to discuss your individual requirements and answer any questions you may have during the process.
Adopting a rabbit or guinea pig is a little different to adopting a cat or dog as their requirements are different. We will ask you to visit a few times to ensure that you have chosen the right pair of rabbits or guinea pigs for your family, but also to allow you new pets to become familiar with you. We like to make sure you have all of the information you require before taking your pet home. We ask that you do not purchase any small pet housing prior to coming to the Sanctuary, we do have guidelines to ensure that you purchase the most suitable type of housing without breaking the bank. Our staff will guide you every step of the way. Only once your housing is ready and meets our housing criteria can you take your new pets home.
Further information about our rehoming process available here
What we expect from you
From every potential owner we expect:
- A passion for rabbits and guinea pigs.
- An understanding of the level of care needed by small animals.
- Research to have been done into the feeding and care of rabbits and guinea pigs.
- Willingness to provide the rabbits or guinea pigs with adequate housing, both in size and quality.
- Willingness to provide the rabbits or guinea pigs with a loving and caring home for the rest of it’s life, for a rabbit this can be for 10 years or more and for a guinea pig 7 years or more.
- An understanding of a rabbit and guinea pigs behavioral needs and the ability to provide an environment suited to their specific needs.
- An understanding of the potential future costs of veterinary bills if the animal develops a chronic condition.
What we do not expect
From every potential owner we do not expect:
- You to have your accommodation already bought and set up. We prefer you to have nothing, we can guide you through what you need to buy or build.
- You to know what sort of rabbit or guinea pig you want.
- You to know everything about rabbits or guinea pigs.
- You to have past experience with rabbits or guinea pigs.
- You to know how to handle a rabbit or guinea pig.
We are here to guide you through the whole process. We prefer you to come up and chat to us first before you go out to buy a hutch or run. That way we can guide you through what you need to buy or even build, so that you do not end up wasting your money on something that is not suitable.
When placing a booking on rabbits or guinea pigs we like them to go to their new home as soon as possible, ideally within two weeks of placing the booking. We will however hold the booking for up to four weeks as we understand it can take a bit of time to get the accommodation ready and we would prefer you to take your time.
We are always at the end of the phone if you have any questions and we can be contacted by email at any time.